'Tis the Season
Wood burning stoves have become an increasingly popular, especially after the extreme weather we saw last year in Michigan. If you are considering installing a wood or pellet stove, or already have one, here are a few safety tips:
- Always, always, always have a professional install your stove!
- Keep sufficient clearance between the stove and any combustible materials.
- Make sure your wood stove has a UL label.
- Do not vent your stove through the same duct work as any other heating appliance.
- Clean your chimney and stove pipe at least once per year.
- Only burn dry, seasoned wood.
- Do not start your fire with gas, oil, or any other flammable fluids.
- Clean your stove regularly and dispose of ash outside, away from the house.
- And of course, contact your local independent insurance agent to inform him/her of your new stove!
information gathered from insurance information institute